Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hats

Miss Sallie Rhea.

















Miss Rhea, a schoolmarm, left home at dawn to sweep the floor and build a fire in the pot-bellied stove in her one-room schoolhouse. She never left home without proper attire, meaning she always wore her hat and gloves.

This is my entry for The Three Muses, where the theme is Hats.

I have used brushes from Brusheezy for this Photoshop produced art. The misty background can be found here. The trees are found here. Miss Sallie Rhea is one of my ancestors and I don't believe she was really a teacher.

17 comments:

  1. Miss Sallie Rhea is charming, and so is the story! I love her hat and the fact that she's one of your ancestors. You did her proud, Faye! Hugs, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Sallie Rhea is beautiful and very stylish too! Her hat is wonderful. Faye, I am so thrilled that you are now using brushes! I love the wintry tree brush and your background is terrific. Great work. Thanks so much for joining in the challenge with such a special piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful artwork, Faye! I love your soft colours and the general athmosphere of your image. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her hat! It's wonderful that her photo has survived all these years and people are still admiring her style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sallie, and I love Sallie's hat! My aunt taught in a one-room school too. Part of her salary was room and board with one of the families, and she rode a horse to the school every day rain or shine, sleet or snow. Imagine that! Thanks for joining in our challenge, Faye! You're such a welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is charming.
    Wonderful design Faye. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful piece Faye -wonderful hat- people did "dress up" alot more in the past and hats were such an artistic statement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Faye, don't know which I enjoyed more, the story of Miss Sallie Rhea or your digital hat creation! Thanks for sharing.
    Barb in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Miss Rhea Faye and her lovely hat, and you never know she may well have been a teacher. Great use of brushes Faye and thanks for the link. Bravo my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent digital artwork, Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A terrific piece, Faye. I love Miss Rhea's hat. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your google translater didn't work with the word "schoolmarm" Faye but reading the rest of your blog in Dutch i think that i 'catch' it.
    ****
    Your entry is so serene ! and the tree brush fits realy well on the background ! A lovely presentation Faye !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doesn't she look smart in her hat, Faye, love the 'brush' tree in the b/g, wonderful piece, again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely to see Miss Rhea again!
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete

Getting to know other art bloggers from around the world is such a pleasure. I feel like you regulars are my friends. Thank you for visiting.