Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hats! - the 3 Muses Challenge

Hats is the theme for the Three Muses Challenge this week. This is a photo of my mother (or my grandmother). I would really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable about vintage styles would tell me about what year this type of hat was worn. That way I could maybe figure out who it is in my picture.






I also have a picture of Mrs. Sallie Rhea, an ancestor on my father's side. Her hat looks like a fruit bowl.








14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Faye. Sorry cannot help you on the hats as it would only be a guess. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faye, your lovely photo looks as though it was taken in the early 30's. Queen Elizabeth (wife of George VI and mother of present queen) wore hats like that when she visited Canada on a state visit (designed by Cecil Beaton). The fruit bowl hat looks to be earlier - Edwardian, 1900ish.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fun these photos are, treasures!!!
    The first looks like late 40, early 50's. I am familiar with the vintage voque magazines and this looks like a garden party hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such elegance, Faye, wonderful memory pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just magnificent, Faye! Sure looks like a 40s or 50s (early) garden party hat, but I'm not sure. I think it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great entry, I love both hats and both women wearing them.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still laughing at your fruit bowl comment, Faye. It's a wonderful family treasure, and we thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Faye. Great pictures. I voto with Janet, not only because of the hat but also for the hair and outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful Faye.
    Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful, Faye! As soon as I saw the first photo, I thought of the Queen Mother. She was always dressed so regal. Even though I don't wear hats, I love seeing them on others.
    Very nice artwork and I love the "fruit bowl" hat~~~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures, Faye! Love the hats!

    Hugs,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only just got here Faye! I should think that gorgeous photo is your mother. It's definitely early 30's, it reminds me of a photo I've seen of my own mother.

    Beautiful work as always.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faye, it is probably around the '30s. She looks very elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Getting to know other art bloggers from around the world is such a pleasure. I feel like you regulars are my friends. Thank you for visiting.