This week's watercolor class was painting waves crashing
against the beach. As usual, the teacher provided a photo.
No one's painting looked like the photo or even resembled
waves crashing against a beach. Here is my attempt.
I painted Gracie, a friend's Beagle, from a photo:
Then I used my birthday gift card to Michaels to buy something
new and different for me: 2 tubes of gouache, orange and blue.
I used these plus regular watercolors to do this tree. Not sure I
will invest in more gouache since I don't know how to use it.
Next are the two sides of a 3-fold book we are
making in mixed media class on Saturdays.
These are both works in progress.
And finally I am showing a family photo of my
late husband's grandmother and other relatives.
Grandmother is at the right end of the first row.
Anyone interested in copying this photo to use in art
Be sure to visit all the exciting art found at







thank you for the image!! I love Gracie and your flowers. Your sea scape is lovely!!
ReplyDeleteLove your paintings again, they are all wonderful. Gracie turned out so well. Thanks for sharing the photo! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie
ReplyDeleteWaves aren't easy to do, good job!
ReplyDeleteThe water colour tree is my favourite, oh and Gracie is so sweet
ReplyDeleteHappy PPF
much love...
Amazing art Faye! The beagle looks just super! Thanks for sharing the photo! Happy PPF, hugs,Susi
ReplyDeleteWow such a gorgeous variety. I LOVE Gracie,your tree and the mixed media piece is amazing! Love it all this week..and aren't those old photos of people so interesting! Wow, just wow all those wonderful creatures in your yard. I lived in a place where one deer happened by, nothing like this. So glad you got a photo!! So peaceful!
ReplyDeleteHugs Giggles
You are so creative and productive.
ReplyDeleteLovely Art again, Faye.
Have a Happy PPF and weekend ♥
I just want to reach out and pat Gracie on the head. So sweet.
ReplyDeleteEAGHL
all around beautiful art! What a sweetie Gracie is and you really captured that essence of her. Happy PPF!
ReplyDeleteLovely pieces! I especially like Gracie - wonderful! Is the painting a gift for your friend?
ReplyDeleteI love the first painting, great colours.Sweet dog and love the photo of the deer family. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely think your painting looks like waves crashing to the beach. Personally I think waves are one of the most difficult subjects to paint, you did a wonderful job!
ReplyDeleteI do like your wave - a very difficult subject! You captured the drops/dabs of foam well which ads so much to the movement. Beautiful job on the puppy too!
ReplyDeleteHello Faye, You were able to create the feeling of so much movement in wave painting. I like it very much. And I enjoyed seeing the peaceful pastoral view from your window. I hope you paint it sone day. Have a lovely week. ~~ Irene
ReplyDeleteWow Faye, you have really excelled in watercolors. This ocean scene is amazing. You captured the waves perfectly. The dog is equally amazing. Great colors and proportions.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure about gouache either, but I do love this tree. Wonderful photos of family and deer. Have a great weekend.
This painting "waves crashing
ReplyDeleteagainst the beach" is full of water-energy and really great! you are an excellent watercolour-artist! I also love the soft and dear dog and the strong lonely October-tree!
Look the deer! so sweet and near!
Thanks for your well wishes on my blog. :) Yes, its been a tough week. Not sure when the heart surgery will happen, we were hoping for early next week but that is not going to happen now. :( I think we will go out foliage looking this weekend since its really starting to change and getting pretty. Speaking of pretty I love the waves this week. I could tell they were waves. And Gracie is great. How cool to see all those deer resting in your backyard. Thanks again for your prayers. I appreciate them. Hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteThanks for your well wishes on my blog. :) Yes, its been a tough week. Not sure when the heart surgery will happen, we were hoping for early next week but that is not going to happen now. :( I think we will go out foliage looking this weekend since its really starting to change and getting pretty. Speaking of pretty I love the waves this week. I could tell they were waves. And Gracie is great. How cool to see all those deer resting in your backyard. Thanks again for your prayers. I appreciate them. Hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteI like your beach scene! The dog is so soulful looking! I think you did fine using gouache too! Love the texture one can get with it! I'd say keep using it until you become more comfortable with it . I bet you will!!!
ReplyDeletelove your painting and very apt too..hope you are ok in the storms
ReplyDeleteWell, I can see waves crashing ...! Love the beagle, and pictures from old times are always interesting to look at. What a treat to have all those beautiful deer in your garden!
ReplyDeleteYour multimedia works are rather captivating. I love those colors together.
ReplyDeleteHappy PPF
very nice and so appropriate since you live near the beach... well, that's a guess for me... maybe not. But, you got the feel of the waves quite well.
ReplyDeleteOcean waves are difficult to capture, but I think you did a great job of it!
ReplyDeleteGouache is used pretty much like watercolors. The great thing is you can paint details on top of it once it dries. I haven't used it much, and what I have isn't very good quality. Fun to try though!
Love the family photo and your watercolours-what a fantastic view from your window-we did have a young fox at the end of our front path last wek it chased one of our cats in then just stood looking at me through the window!I think you did a brilliant job with the crashing waves too
ReplyDeleteCarol x