Thursday, December 27, 2012

PPF - Thanks and Happy New Year!

Thank you to Kristin and Eva for this year's hosting of Paint Party Friday.
My entry today is my first attempt at painting with acrylic paints. I have done many oil paintings but none with acrylics.  I thought that my Christmas gift from my beautiful granddaughter  (a set of acrylic paints and a whole big carrier of appropriate brushes) would be a breeze to use. My hat is off to all you who regularly use this medium. Also, please HELP me with hints on how to use it.  I discovered right off that I couldn't mix colors on my substrate like with oils. Anyway, I thought I'd give you a laugh to finish off your year by furnishing you with this crude attempt. I am going to practice to get better. I love the feel of the paints.

19 comments:

  1. beautiful acrylic...I've never used oils but I imagine acrylic is easier and certainly less messy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful creation ~ well done ~ I know acrylics dry fast ~ so use water to thin it and believe it like other mediums yet a bit different ~ You are doing well ~ Happy New Year to you ^_^

    (A Creative Harbor ~ aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's a beautiful painting!! Wish you a very Happy New Year 2013. Happy PPF.
    Following you now please do visit my blog http://designdecoranddisha.blogspot.in/2012/09/pop-of-color-in-my-living-room.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so very cute ...looking at it I smile :) Have a splendid 2013 !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No laughing here- just enjoying the wonderful and fun snowman! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! Happy PPF and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your brushwork and texture, Faye!
    Can't believe this is your first attempt in acrylics...looks great!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF and Happy New Year!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture! Happy New year to you, too! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute and absolutely great for a first attempt! I wouldn't know what to do with acrylics - or oils for that matter! :) Happy PPF and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I don't think it's a crude attempt at all-it's adorable!!!I've never used oils but I do love my acrylics. Happy PPF and happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "crude attempt" OMGosh you could SELL those cards. You'll get use to them, you are already good at it. . . it's like anything else as soon as we get use to them, you'll find other ways of using them or move on to the next thing (watercolors, pastels (love these) or guache. BTW, we are our own worst critics. Put it aside, come back to it, and you will wonder, 'who did this?' Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely snowwoman. Great, great!!! Learning a new medium only takes doing it more - so keep painting every day and you will find that you will master it sooner than you know. Happy PPF and a very creative new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faye, I love this snowman. He is so cute and for a first, third, or 100th attempt wonderful. I have to agree with what JKW wrote on her comment. That exact thing happened to me with something I wrote. I saw something I wrote (but forgot) and wondered if I could contact the person for permission to use it on my blog. Then I realized the person had used my words and were sending them back to me. We are our own worst critics. Your work is beautiful. I know I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is fabulous ! you would never know that it was your 'first' and it doesn't seem crude at all - it is a snow dude! Happy PPF and Happy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with all the above comments Faye, your snowman scene is totally delightful and would make great cards.
    A tip I found very useful from art class re acrylic paints.
    Soak a piece of watercolour paper in water, lay it in a container, cover with one piece of baking paper. This keeps the acrylics moist (cover when finished and it will stay moist for a couple of days) and also makes them more mixable. Wishing you a Joyful New Year dear Faye. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is adorable and had you not told your story of new paints I'd have had no idea you were having problems ... I imagine like watercolors you mix them in a palate . HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever you Faye as I thought you had used watercolours at first glance. Changing to another medium is never easy and why I only use watercolours but you have transferred over beautifully. The snowman is just so adorable. Best wishes for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very lovely snowman, dear Faye.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete

Getting to know other art bloggers from around the world is such a pleasure. I feel like you regulars are my friends. Thank you for visiting.